Please plan to join the Marine Trades Association of Maryland (MTAM) this year in being part of the solution to our plastic pollution. MTAM will once again partner with the Maryland Clean Marina Program and Chesapeake Materials for this shrinkwrap recycling program for marinas.
The goal this year is to double the number of marinas participating (The 2019 program kept 30,000 pounds of shrinkwrap out of landfills!). Remember, mountains of wrap used each year are ending up in the landfill in Maryland. Best efforts to recycle can fail due to the need to keep the wrap pure in order to make it reusable (all straps and debris must be kept out of the recycling bags). Help MTAM to make this program a success.
Shrinkwrap recycling - here's how it works:
- MTAM will sell and distribute bags that hold up to 40 pounds of clean shrinkwrap to participating marinas and boatyards. (MTAM still cannot sell to individual boaters.)
- Each bag will cost $15. This cost will include the pickup/transportation and recycling of the filled bags. These are the hard costs to make this program work.
- Critical to the successful recycling of boat shrinkwrap is keeping it pure and clean. All straps, zippers, doors, and vents must be removed for the wrap to be accepted by any recyclers. Dates for pick-up will be sent out early in the season so that you will have time to prepare and plan to get the wrap bagged in time.
- Only bagged wrap will be accepted by Chesapeake Materials.
- MTAM ran a test of putting the wrap into one of the bags. They fit the wrap from a 35-foot boat into one of the bags. By condensing the wrap, you may get more in the bag, but MTAM asks that you keep the weight to 40 pounds maximum.
Direct questions and orders for bags to MTAM by calling (410) 269-0741 or emailing [email protected]. Bags will be delivered to you by February 15 and/or will be available for pick-up at the Clean Marina Workshops early in February.
Thanks for making the effort to recycle!