In June, The Eastport Yacht Club Foundation (EYCF) Board of Directors awarded $14,000 to high school graduates on pathways to a marine or maritime career. The Marine & Maritime Scholarship Program provides financial support to high school graduates pursuing a trade or college degree. The scholarships are provided directly to the schools, in support of tuition, up to a maximum of $2000 per school year.
“This year we provided seven scholarships, three for existing recipients and four to new recipients,” said David Fawley, chairman of the Marine & Maritime Scholarship Subcommittee. “Our goal is to stay with the students throughout their entire training or degree program as long as they meet the minimum program requirements. This year we added a mentoring program to stay in close touch with the kids, provide support, encouragement and guidance along the way.”
This year’s scholarship recipients:
- Ryan Beveridge, University of Maryland, Civil Engineering with Environmental and Water Resources Track and Sustainability Studies minor.
- Lucas Karhoff, Great Lakes Maritime Academy (senior), Ship Engineer, Named the recipient of the EYCF Stephen Voorhis Memorial Scholarship.
- Alex Roberson, Florida Southern College (sophomore), Marine biology
- Gracelyn Bowers, University of New Orleans, Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.
- Michael Kaminskas, Coastal Carolina University, Marine Science Major.
- Aidan Molesky, SUNY Maritime, Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.
- Maxwell Ryder, SUNY Maritime, Marine Transportation Degree (USCG 3rd Mate Deck License).
A primary focus of the EYCF mission is to raise awareness of marine and maritime career pathways. “In addition to providing scholarships, we also host an annual Marine and Maritime Career Fair at Annapolis High School for middle and high school students and parents. Our 2016 event had 50 exhibitors across all marine and maritime careers and more than 400 students and parents in attendance from Maryland and surrounding states,” according to Pam Ray, chair of the EYC Foundation. The 2017 career fair will be held on February 25. To learn more, visit eycfoundation.org