The second annual Baltimore Floatilla, presented by Healthy Harbor, will take place June 10, beginning at 8 a.m., and launching from the Canton Waterfront Park. And they need powerboat volunteers! (That’s the boat and its captain.)
The Baltimore Floatilla is a five-mile paddle in Baltimore’s historic Inner Harbor to rally for clean water, a healthy harbor, and a saved Chesapeake Bay. There will also be a land-side rally from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Inner Harbor Amphitheater for those who do not want to paddle. The land event will feature live music and speakers from the Waterfront Partnership, Chesapeake Bay Foundation, and Blue Water Baltimore.
Healthy Harbor is looking for volunteers with powerboats between 12 feet and 20 feet to help with support and safety. Support boats will provide help (if needed) to the paddlers and will communicate to safety partners: land and water support provided by the U.S. Coast Guard, Baltimore City Fire Department, Bowleys Quarters Rescue, Kingsville Swiftwater Rescue, and Maryland DNR.
What is Expected of Support Boats?
- Attend the Support Boat Captain’s Meeting on May 17, 6:30 p.m. at Brown Advisory (details to follow).
- Be on-site at Canton Waterfront Park for Skippers Meeting at 7 a.m. on June 10.
- Provide Floatilla support in your assigned sector of the Inner Harbor.
- Stay to enjoy the MOM’s Organic Market After-Party!
What You Get!
- VIP passes to the MOM’s Organic Market After Party
- Free food and beverage!
- Map of the race, safety procedures, and communication documents
- Floatilla performance T-shirt and Emergency whistle
- Pre-set VHF hand held radio to ensure event communication is seamless
- Event flag and event signage for your powerboat (to distinguish you from commercial and recreational boat traffic and authorize you to assist paddlers in need).
To reiterate, that’s VIP passes to the awesome MOM’s Organic Market After Party for just a few hours of your time spent volunteering for a great event. Email Hal Ashman, firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to get involved.